In a modern software development process, the software test automation tools have a critical role in uplifting the quality and efficiency of the software development process. While performing software testing, the app developers must ensure that all the elements of the app are functional so that they can be forwarded to the production phase. By integrating modern software testing tools, app developers can access additional features that can contribute massively towards improving the simplicity and overall productivity of the software development process. Some of the most important integrations of the modern app industry include automation testing, cross-browser testing, and integration of agile methodologies like continuous integration and continuous development.
With this article, we will explore how app developers can use modern software testing tools to follow various industry standards. we will also understand some of the best practices that can bring out the full capacity of these tools.
The Modern Market Standards for App Development
During the early years, the end users could access all the apps only from the desktop platform. Moreover, it was a common practice to use dedicated applications for everyday tasks. However, times have changed a lot. Moreover, the technology has also revolutionized. Now users can perform all the desktop functions on devices that can fit in their pockets like smartphones, tablets, and even smartwatches. Moreover, it is now an industry standard for applications to perform multiple tasks at the same time. So, to keep up with all these standards, the app developers have to introduce various complex functions in the app infrastructure.
Due to these complexities, errors, and bugs have become one of the most common parts of the modern application testing and debugging process. Moreover, performing these processes by complete manual testing will not only slow down the process but will also lead to errors due to human involvement. Instead, the developers can try to integrate complete automation testing in their test environment. With this process, it is possible to initiate and execute the testing instances automatically using a series of pre-written test scripts. The function of these scripts is that they allow the system to replicate human interactions while communicating with the app. Although the test cases are pre-written, the testers can make significant changes to customize them according to their requirements.
The adoption of complete automation testing can boost the modern standards of software development in the following ways:
- Since automation testing is completely devoid of manual intervention, it is not only accurate but also highly efficient. This is because the system can run the test cases 24 hours round the clock even on holidays.
- By allocating automation testing to repetitive test cases like data analysis testing and regression testing, the developers can save a lot of time in the testing infrastructure. So, they can reinvest this time to come up with new features for future application updates.
- While working with automation testing, the application developers can also integrate dedicated tools and frameworks to boost the quality of the app development project.
- The process of automation testing also has a crucial role in maintaining the balance between company time and resources. For instance, it will eliminate the expense of maintaining a human testing team for performing their test cases.
Using Software Testing Tools for Following Industry Standards
Based on our knowledge and understanding, we have created a list of some of the most important factors that will justify modern software testing tools as one of the best ways of maintaining the industry standards for application development and testing:
- Use of Test Automation
As we already mentioned earlier, automation testing is one of the most important components of modern software development standards. So, using automation testing tools and frameworks, app developers can ensure that the testing practices are up-to-date and relevant according to the requirements of both the industry and the customers. Moreover, automation testing is also suitable to modern industry standards that require repetitive and extensive testing of an app before releasing it to the customers.
- Integration of Parallel Testing
Modern apps consist of thousands of different elements that need to be tested and verified individually. So, if the developers perform this process one by one then, it might take several months to complete the entire test suit. So, by implementing parallel testing tools, the app developers can initiate and executive multiple test instances at the same time. Many experts believe that the use of automated parallel testing can wrap up the entire test suite within just a few days. This is another factor that helps companies maintain the consistency of their app development speed in this competitive market. Moreover, there are various cloud platforms like LambdaTest that provide native support for parallel testing.
- Use of Compliance Testing
The modern app development industry has various regulations like ISO 9001, HIPA, and PCI DSS. These are some of the most important standards that maintain the requirements for data security, software quality, and privacy of the customers. So, by using proper testing tools, app developers can ensure that they are implementing all of these standards while releasing their apps. In certain countries, failing to comply with these regulations might lead to a complete ban on the app.
- Use of Real Device Testing
While developing modern applications, many developers and testers restrict their test cases to only emulation and simulation software, especially when it comes to macOS users. This is because the process of setting up and maintaining a real device testing lab is expensive and hectic. However, simulation software cannot verify the functioning of an app when it is subjected to the physical parameters of a device. Some of the most important parameters that require testing include the role of unstable bandwidth, low battery, or various forms of user interaction errors. So, modern software testing tools and platforms like LambdaTest allow app developers to implement real device testing without the expensive test lab. It accomplishes this goal by providing access to remote testing servers through the Internet, making it an excellent choice for those looking for an android emulator for Mac. Some other benefits of using cloud testing include the initiation of test cases from anywhere in the world and access to legacy devices.
- Implementing Regression Testing
All modern applications go through frequent updates that add new features or fix old errors for a better software experience. However, in most cases, the app developers will witness that the new elements might harm the functioning of the previously existing elements in the app. These errors can lead to false positives and false negatives in the end user report. Some of the most catastrophic consequences of these errors are complete crashes in the app infrastructure. So, the developers can use modern software testing tools for implementing automated regression testing and eliminate these errors after every app update. Regression testing also ensures that the basic functions of the app are available in all instances.
- Security Testing
In the present generation, almost all applications deal with a lot of sensitive user data. These data might include banking details, personal details, or even the health information of an end user. So, the application developers can use modern testing tools to implement security testing to ensure that this information is secure in the core infrastructure of the app and is also immune to any form of malicious attacks. Some of the most important apps that can benefit from the implementation of security testing include health apps, banking apps, and e-commerce applications.
- Implementation of Performance testing
It is a common phenomenon for the app infrastructure to show anomalies when it is subjected to several users at the same time. In such cases, the core infrastructure of the app might fail to comply with this load. So, by implementing performance testing measures like load testing and stress testing, the app developers can ensure that the core framework of the application can deal with these anomalies and harsh use case scenarios. This is yet another important industry standard for maintaining user satisfaction and building a positive brand image.
LambdaTest and How It Boosts Modern Software Testing
LambdaTest is another modern automation testing platform that has a crucial role in maintaining the software standards for the company. Using this cloud platform, app developers can execute real device testing on thousands of real devices using remote servers. This platform also combines hundreds of test reports from real devices and simulation software to boost the accuracy and dependability of the test cases. It is possible due to the integration of the LambdaTest real device testing cloud with the LambdaTest API.
Some other advantages of using LambdaTest for modern software testing are mentioned below:
- Using this platform, the developers can run multiple test instances from different automation frameworks like Selenium, Cypress, Appium, and even Playwright. For the Selenium test cases, LambdaTest has native support on more than 3000 browsers.
- Other than providing access to thousands of modern devices, the LambdaTest real device testing cloud also has hundreds of legacy devices and browser versions for improving the compatibility of the application.
- While using LambdaTest for modern software testing, app developers can initiate and execute thousands of test instances on different configurations and machines at the same time using parallel testing.
- LambdaTest also allows the execution of automated cross-browser testing using the Selenium WebDriver and the Selenium Grid. To help understand the initiation process for automated cross-browser testing, we have mentioned the required code snippet.
- After running the modern software test instances, LambdaTest will automatically generate a comprehensive test report consisting of multiple vital information like screenshots, videos, and detailed test activity logs. This information will allow the developers to quickly find the faulty elements and perform the required debugging process.
- Whenever the new testers and developers are stuck with any feature of LambdaTest, they can refer to the documentation on the official website. It explains all the relevant details in simple languages using sample test cases. Moreover, for one-to-one support, there is the option to use live chat, over-the-phone support, and the email feature. Finally, the testers and developers can also discuss among themselves using the LambdaTest open-source community.
The Conclusive Views
By properly utilizing the potential of modern software testing tools, app developers can maintain the industry standards in their testing environment. Moreover, we must remember that automation testing will continue to become one of the most important components of the modern application development and testing process. So, it is very important for app developers to constantly update their knowledge regarding all the new additions and integrations in this segment. Constantly monitoring the requirements and demands of the target audience will also help the developers customize their applications accordingly for a wider audience reach.